Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Okay Maybe I'm Just Mean

I got the Patternworks catalog in the mail today. I love getting yarn catalogs. I like looking at the new yarns, I like comparing colors and fibers. But I've got a question, maybe I'm just mean, but is it 1986 in New Hampshire? Have you gotten this catalog? Have you noticed that the models have feathered hair and are wearing really high-waisted, pleated wool pants? This isn't true of all of the pictures (most of which are provided by the yarn companies I'm quite sure) but the Yarns by Patternworks all feature models living in a time warp. No kidding these models are a banana clip away from a Styx concert.

Something really cool I found online today. I was reading Twin Cities Business today at work and there was an article about a company called Myndology. They sell the absolute coolest notebooks, little ring bound note cards, etc. I, of course, thought knitting. I thought about all the little notes I make for myself and then proceed to lose. So I went online and ordered a disc-bound journal and a 2"x3" disc bound note book. With the disc bound you can take the little notes out and add them to the journal. Cool, huh? I also wrote to the company saying that they should be selling these in LYS's. Check out Myndology if you are a notebook nut like me.

I didn't get to knit at all last night, but I crashed early and feel better than I have in days!! I'm loving this cool fall weather and it's making me think wool and sweaters and more wool.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, it's bad enough I have a yarn addiction and a book addiction, but now you're feeding my notebook addiction! Curses! :-)

renee said...

80s fashion is huge again - isn't it scary? The big look for fall is the huge oversized sweater with leggings. No way I'm wearing that again!

renee said...

Oh, and by the way, I have a hole punch for making disk notebooks, so if you have any special paper you want to put in your disk notebook, let me know!

Mrs. H said...

Haven't you heard? 1980 is the new 2006. I've started having occasional flashbacks to "Flashdance" lately when I look at magazines and I hear it's only going to get worse. It was bad enough having to relive the 70s (only skankier) now we get to go back to bubble sweaters and pencil leg jeans. ARRGGHHHH!! One bright note, though: I have a pronounced and very high waist so those high waisted pants are just fine by me. I also look forward to not seeing girls with their flab and or their rear end hanging out the top of their jeans. That will be a refreshing change.

Guinifer said...

OMG! I was laughing so hard at your banana clip comment!!!!

I won't miss the muffin top either tam.

Tania A said...

Well, when I lived in NH, they kinda were a little behind the times. I just got my Patternworks, but haven't looked at it yet.

Anonymous said...

I sure am glad I got my notebook fix today before I read this. :) I go through a lot of notebooks.

Sheepish Annie said...

I'll go to New Hampshire anytime...but they can't make me go back to the 80's. On that, I stand firm.

Anonymous said...

And what exactly is wrong with a Styx concert? I'll hve to find my special "ballad lighter" with the 9 inch flame, otherwise I'm ready! I am a modern man....secret secret, I've got a secret....
Roger

Anonymous said...

It's funny that you mentioned this time-warp thing as I noticed this with the latest winter catalogs over here too - I got a shoe-catalog via mail lately and was totally stunned seeing the models! The shoes were great, beautiful and up to date, very modern actually, but the models seemed, like the ones you mentioned, being ready to go to an 80's band concert - yep, Styx ;) I mean, for heavens sake - I still think that the 80's had the most horrible fashion ever, so how could that ever come back? I get shivers down my spine when I see leggings and such - arrrghhh! ;)

Knittymama said...

Everyone repeat after me:

I will not wear stirrup pants.
I will not wear stirrup pants.
i will not wear stirrup pants.

Chris said...

*whimper*

Cool journals... Hmm.

Wendy said...

I went to the myndology website...
WOW! I must have have some of those! I think you should get a commission or little notebook giftie for sending us obsessed knitters there!

Katie said...

I noticed that too. But then I read in the notes for those yarns that they were resurrecting some designer's old patterns, and then I got it. I guess those are just old photos. Seems like Patternworks would knit new samples and print photos of those on modern-day models! But no, they went the easy route. Still, it started your contest, so I'm not complaining! =)