Monday, August 14, 2006

Fair Isle Frenzy


Somebody needs to talk me out of this because I have an idea. This hat seems to be going really well. I had to buy 5 skeins of yarn to get all the colors (red, pink, lime, turquois, and orange) but the pattern only calls for 20 yards of each of the contrasting colors. Oldest nephew's favorite color is red, middle nephew's favorite is orange (Deb was pretty surprised that a 5 year old boy was this vocal about his hat preferences), youngest neice's favorite pink, oldest neice's favorite is blue. Are you thinking what I'm thinking? I could make each one a hat with their favorite color as the main color and all the rest as accents. I think I will have enough yarn. Have I lost my mind? Hats for kids were on my to-do list for Christmas gifts.

In other news, remember my big money-saving plan involving doing my own manicures/pedicures? If you will recall, the first casualty of this was my computer mouse. After digging around the house I found another mouse so I didn't actually have to pay to replace it, but it really put a damper on my lofty ideas of saving money by doing it myself. Last night this happened:


I was trying to open the bottle and the entire top broke off. Luckily (?!) most of it spilled on me so no yarn was damaged. But let's tally up my cost savings from doing it myself. Cost of mani/pedi at the salon $47 plus tip. Cost of the red OPI that broke $7, my ruined polo shirt and capri pants $25 and $10 (hey they were on the clearance rack) Total loss $42. So far I saved $5 plus tip. Yeah, I'm a financial genius!

9 comments:

Knittymama said...

What a bummer! I gave up eyebrow waxes to save money, but my tweezing techniques have been about as successful as your manicures:-)

sheep#100 said...

I'd contact the nailpolish company. They probably won't do anything for the shirt or pants but should be aware that the top snapped off that way and replace it.

renee said...

I like the idea of the hats for the kids. I think you can do it and it would be really special!

I like that color of OPI!

Sheepish Annie said...

You never know when you're going to need an extra fiver!

Guinifer said...

Wow! What a mess! That color makes it look like an ER catastrophe!

Kelly said...

Yikes, I think it is safer to go and get your mani/pedi done at the salon. We all need to have a little guilty pleasure.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you need one of those disposable paper suits. :)

I like the hat idea!

Deb said...

Yikes - Thank goodness you saved the yarn; that could have been catastrophic! I like that hat plan. At the rate you knock those out you'll be back soon for yarn.

Chris said...

Oh my.

Now, the funny part is that you had to take a picture before you cleaned up, so you could blog about it...