Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Button Up Your Overcoat

'Cos it's snowing again! It's snowed twice since we put the spring weed n' feed down on the lawn. In typical bureaucratic fashion, this week is the week that my town cleans the streets so gosh darn it the streets will be clean! Instead of a salt or sand truck, the street cleaner just passed by, looking silly with the falling snow. Did I mention I've got a big deal thing going on tomorrow? Did I mention executives from places like Houston are flying here today. Welcome to Minnesota folks. Don't worry the weather will change tomorrow. In April we never know whether to wear our parkas or shorts. Sometimes you need both withing 48 hours of each other. I wouldn't have it any other way.



Last weekend I decided to pull an old UFO out of the closet and finish it. It was on the cover of Vogue knitting a couple years ago, an orange seed stitch cardigan knit in Brown Sheep Burly Spun. None of my LYSs carry this yarn so I had to special order it. It was the most I'd ever spent on yarn at the time and I was excited about knitting the sweater in my choice of color not dictated by what was on hand at the store. I think I abandoned it because of the sorta crappy instructions for shaping the sleeve caps. I had to make notes now to do it correctly and I'm sure that it would have scared the crap out of me three years ago.



My biggest concern about the sweater from day one was finding the super cool buttons that were pictured on the cover. I also knew that if I found them, they'd probably cost $3-$5 apiece, officially making this the most expensive sweater I've ever knit. But Saturday I scored big! The local Hancock Fabrics is shutting their doors. I'm sad about this, but I was a happy shopper on Saturday as their special of the day was all buttons, 70% off. Being kind of a button-a-holic anyway (I have my grandma's old buttons, I save all buttons, etc.) I was thrilled.


The big purply blue button in the middle is for the sweater in question (obviously there are more than one) but if they are practically givin' em away I'm buying more. I'll hopefully post a picture of the finished sweater this weekend.

You've all probably noticed that RC is living up to his standards. Yes, my immediate family are a family of hunters. He owns a ton of non-feral cats and two dogs in real life so before you light up your torches and grab your pitchforks. . . . . You weren't really expecting unshaved legs and tree hugging here though, were you?


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't shave my legs, and I once hugged a tree, but I had been drinking. I'll stand by my statement on feral cats. From the National Geographic website:

"Exact numbers are unknown, but some experts estimate that each year domestic and feral cats kill hundreds of millions of birds, and more than a billion small mammals, such as rabbits, squirrels, and chipmunks."

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/09/0907_040907_feralcats.html

Chris said...

Are all the Hancock Fabrics closing?!

I love buttons...

Jeanne said...

Those buttons are a great find. There is usally nothing left by the time I get to a 70% off sale.

Anonymous said...

Those are cool buttons. I wonder if our Hancocks is closing? I guess I need to see if they're having a sale at least.

Sheepish Annie said...

Ooooooo...nice score on the buttons! When in life does *that* ever happen? Excellent!

Snowing here, too. I enjoyed the early-release day from school, but I am pretty much done with all this white stuff. Gimme some sunshine, darnitalltoheck!!!!!!

Guinifer said...

Excellent score on the buttons! I get so mad when I have to buy buttons because they feel like such a rip-off.

Alisha said...

Love the buttons!!!